PASTA (whole wheat/ bean/ soba or another of your favorite)
2 red bell peppers
2 shallots, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Sea salt and ground black pepper
1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1.5 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder (or other thickener of choice)
Pinch red pepper flake (optional, for heat)
12 ounces noodle of choice
• Vegan parmesan cheese
• Finely chopped fresh parsley or basil
For the Vegan Parmesan Cheese blend these ingredients in a blender:
3/4 cup raw cashews
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1. Heat oven to 500 degrees F and roast red peppers on a baking sheet until charred - about 25-30 minutes. Cover in foil for 10 minutes to steam, then remove (peel away) charred skin, seeds and stems. Set aside.
2. Cook pasta according to package instructions; drain, cover with a towel and set aside.
3. While the red peppers are roasting, bring a large skillet over medium heat and sauté onion and garlic until golden brown and soft - about 4-5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and stir. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Transfer sautéed shallot and garlic to blender with roasted peppers, almond milk, red pepper flake, nutritional yeast and cornstarch. Season with desired amount of salt, pepper and red pepper flake.
5. Blend until creamy and smooth, taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt and pepper or nutritional yeast for flavor.
6. Once blended, place sauce back in the skillet over medium heat to thicken. Once it reaches a simmer, reduce heat to low and continue simmering.
7. Once sauce is thickened to desired consistency, add noodles.
8. Serve with vegan parmesan, red pepper flake and fresh chopped parsley or basil.