The adult version of sour patch kids! These are the perfect poppers for a holiday party. Double the recipe to make enough to go around.
3 cups of fresh cranberries
3 cups of water
3 cups of granulated sugar + more for coating
1) Wash cranberries and set aside in a bowl.
2) Over low to medium heat combine water and 3 cups of sugar. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Do not boil the water. Once sugar is dissolved allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
3) Pour cooled mixture over the cranberries until they are submerged. (If you pour hot water over the berries they will pop) Press berries down because they will naturally float. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
4) Strain berries out of the bowl and dry off with a paper towel. They should be a bit tacky. You can keep the syrup water for another recipe or discard.
5) Pour enough sugar to cover the bottom of a big flat dinner plate with a thin layer. Place berries in batches of about 10 on to the plate. Pick up the plate with both hands and very gently move it side to side. The berries will easily roll and get coated with sugar. Set coated berries aside on a baking sheet to allow the sugar to harden.
6) Store in refrigerator.